Thank You Mom

Over Mother's Day, I submitted the story of my amazing mother to the 2010 P & G "Thank You Mom" Campaign and I was notified yesterday that I am one of 30 FINALISTS!!!  15 of those with the most vote for their mom will win $1000 towards a reunion with their mom and a camcorder to record the time together. It sounds cliche to say that I have already won to have such a wonderful woman in my life-but I have - but it would be nice to fly her to Chicago to see my sister or to fly my sister here. :)


Click over here to VOTE VOTE VOTE for this amazing woman! 


YOU HAVE UNTIL TODAY  9am PST/12pm EST TO VOTE!
**Voting has closed, but please take a moment to read about how much I love my mother!


My entry was inspired by a post I wrote back in 2008 (reprinted with permission):


"She is my greatest cheerleader, my biggest believer, my heart's champion-She is my step-mother. I usually never refer to her in such a way: step-mother. She is no step orhalf-wayalmost, or only-on-the-weekendsmother. No ma'am. She is much more. She is is my better-than-bloodI-chose-you, loved-you-as-if-I gave-birth-to-you mother. She is my mother, and if you know me and hear me talking about this amazing woman in my life-you know she is my mother in every way that eternally matters.

My mother, the one who gave birth to me, the one who passed away last February, made choices in her life that affected everyone (mostly related to her addiction issues) around her and left me a confused tween. My step-mother was able to pick up the pieces with such grace, such love, such patience. She taught me, very early on in our relationship what it meant to be beautiful, both inside and out. She continues to teach me with her words of love and encouragement.

There is so much to her-so much I want to share with you. She has made a difference on such a profound level, it is difficult to adequately describe. Part of what keeps me in awe of her is that she chose me-well, she chose my father-but by choosing him, she chose me too- and I am honored to be loved in such a way. Another thing that blows me away, is that she has been present at every one of my major life events. College? She helped me move into my dorm-spent hours helping me make it mine. Wedding? She helped me plan it-was there at the "aha!" moment when you find your wedding dress. Babies? She was there, holding my precious daughter in the crook of her arms and tenderly rubbing the tips of her fingers along her brows. Cancer? She was there-praising God with me for His mercy and grace. And she is still here-in the everydayness of it all-a phone call away- the one I call for recipes, parenting advice and Godly counsel.

I wish you all could meet her-this mother of mine. She is so special to me-she lights up a room with her smile and her eyes sparkle when she talks lovingly of my father. I am so thankful for her. I am more than thankful. Is there a word for more than thankful? How about indebted?

I am indebted to you, Robyn. Thank you for being my mom.

Is there someone in your life who could use a "more-than-thank-you" or "I love you". Tell them. If it's too hard, write it down. Don't waste another minute.



Please Vote.

Post a Comment